Saturday, December 3, 2011

Kums Kids: Bokena


Meet Bokena! She is my favorite of the village kids (but shhhhhh don't tell the others)! She was one of the first kids I met in Kumakwane and she stole my heart on our very first meeting. A little about her: Bokena is an orphan. She lives in a shanty hut with her brother, Bofelo, and her cousins, Goitsemodimo and Auntie. This group of kids is probably the most picked on in the village, primarily because they are among the poorest. I think Bokena is also picked on a lot because she is so sweet and doesn't stick up for herself. When I asked her how old she is she didn't know but I have learned that she's in standard one (kind of like first grade) so I can only assume she is around 7 or 8-years-old. Among her favorite things to do are color pictures, eat bread, watch Rainbow Bright, and do yoga. She also loves hugs. When I first met her, however, she didn't even know what a hug was. The first time I tried to give her one she stood stiff as a board and literally just stared at me with a look of confusion. Now when I put my arms out she comes running over and embraces me like she never wants to let go (which is alright by me because I absolutely adore her!). I think she was starved for affection before. One day while we were snuggling on the couch and watching Planet Earth, she saw snow and got really excited. In broken Setswana I learned that she wants to see snow some day. She is very inquisitive and always a joy to be around.

1 comment:

  1. Can you measure her, it would be fun to send her a party dress and sparkle shoes. She'd feel like a princess. Mom

    ReplyDelete