Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Few Things I've Learned About Myself

For the last few weeks, I have been implementing my "pre- pre-planning" list-making and have learned a few things about myself...
  1. I have a lot of stuff. Literally just stuff - stuff that I have collected over the years and have carried with me from place to place. I like all of this stuff but it plays no significant role in my life other than my liking it.
  2. I have a lot of clothes. Yes, I like these clothes and I'm sure I get around to wearing them all eventually but I always reach for my wardrobe staples - a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, my moccasins or my TOMS, and a fun necklace or scarf. This realization is very comforting to me as I look forward to packing.
  3. I use Q-Tips a lot more than I ever realized (and for a lot more than just cleaning out my ears). And, honestly, I think they would have been something I didn't bring with me because I would have thought they played an insignificant role in my life.
  4. I really don't use very much stuff. This is another comforting fact.
  5. I am ridiculously prepared. I have read countless blogs by current Peace Corps Volunteers, I have read every blog I can find by volunteers in Botswana (which is the only country in Sub-Saharan Africa that stages in April says Peace Corps Wiki), and I have studied about Africa. I have an idea of what to expect from where I get stationed and I am learning more and more about what I can bring with me (both literally and figuratively).
I am excited and I am ready. Now if only I didn't have to wait another six months....

1 comment: