Friday, September 10, 2010

From Application to Nomination: A Whirlwind Experience

I officially submitted my application for Peace Corps at 6:00 pm on Saturday, July 31st. I was really excited because I finally was making it happen - I had FINALLY applied! I quickly went to Facebook to post about this massive accomplishment (because who wouldn't, right?!). Within a few minutes, I started receiving messages of congratulations and good wishes from friends and family, along with a number of "now the waiting begins" and "prepare yourself for the waiting game" replies from friends that had been Peace Corps volunteers. So I prepared myself for the wait they said was sure to come. I had to wait all the way to 9:00 am on Monday, August 2nd. Just over 24 hours later, I received a phone call from a Peace Corps recruiter in Seattle asking me if I could be ready for an interview THAT WEEK. Of course I said yes because I was tired of waiting (sure it had only been a day or two but those couple of days were six years in the making already). By Thursday afternoon I had finished my interview and, before I had even left, the recruiter told me that she was definitely pushing me through to nomination! The following Tuesday, August 10th, I had a follow-up conversation with the recruiter. At that time she gave me three options for nominations to choose from and I officially accepted a nomination to do Business Development and NGO-Capacity Building in Sub-Saharan Africa! It took me one week and two days to get from Application to Nomination! Whoa, what a whirlwind experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment