Friday, August 31, 2012

The "Big 5" And The "Village 4"

One of the really exciting things about my family's visit was that we were able to see Africa's "Big 5". They were chosen for a number of factors, most notably because they are among the most dangerous and thrilling animals to see. Africa's Big 5 are as follows (in pictures taken from our trip):


Cape Buffalo













Rhinoceros

Lion














Elephant











Leopard













Seeing Africa's Big 5 is one of the most exhilarating things you can do. Some people spend a lifetime trying to see them but fall short. We were fortunate enough to see the Big 5 many times over! (Yes, we saw three leopards, four rhinos, a half dozen lions, and countless buffalos and elephants!) It was absolutely remarkable and something that I can say with utmost certainty will be with each member of my family for the rest of our lives.

I mentioned that seeing these majestic creatures is rare and yet many people back home think these are the animals I see every day since, after all, I live in Africa. I want to introduce you all now to the animals I do actually see with frequency. They are the "Village 4" and require no formal introduction...

  


Not gonna lie, I am quite grateful that these are the creatures I see as I walk through my village because it offers some sort of comfort that I'm not being tracked by a lion or fear being trampled by an elephant. Plus it makes the fact that I did actually see the Big 5 all the more special. So three cheers to the Village 4 for being so humorous and the Big 5 for their glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment