Friday, September 9, 2011

The Return of the Creepy Crawlies

Confession time: I obsessively clean my house. There is no other way to describe it. I am constantly finding dust or dirt that can be swept up or realigning or realphabetizing something (yes, my books are in alphabetical order and my clothes line up according to the rainbow, don't judge). I do this for a number of reasons. First, I like order. Second, because I have a lot of time on my hands so I occupy it accordingly. Lastly, and probably most importantly, because I don't want bugs in my house. (Have you heard about camel spiders?! They are real... they freak me out... and they are in Botswana!)

The bugs in Botswana are back! It's getting hot outside and they are seeking refuge from the elements... in my house. Despite my best efforts, the little buggers (hehe) are making their way into my personal space. It started out with a few cute little spiders, which I calmly transported to their home environment outdoors. Then it was some sort of funky mutant bug that I swept out my front door. That was followed by something that I can't describe that I scared so badly that it ran out through a vent in my living room. All of this I was okay with. I knew there would be bugs (a lot of them) and I knew I wouldn't have ever seen bugs like them before and I had prepared myself for the day they would return. But nothing could have prepared me for the battle I woke up to yesterday morning... ANTS!

I now have a little ant hole coming up through the tiles in my bedroom. They are the little itty bitty teeny tiny ants but man almighty are there a lot of them. And they are not going down without a fight. And, I'm sorry to say, I am not being nice. It's war and I'm Doom'ing them. So far it's working! I think their dead bodies may be blocking the hole or a messenger ant has alerted the rest that it's me or them (and my contract has another 20 months on it so guess who's gonna have to go)... There were significantly less today than yesterday and I'm optimistic that if I keep at it, spraying them with doom and bleaching/scrubbing the floors, that there will be no chance of survival.

While I'm sure this is the first of many battles with the local creepy crawlies, I'm hoping my efforts will not be in vain and that it will be a lesson to all the future ants, spiders, roaches, and icky things that attempt to enter: you will not survive in my house, stay in yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment